Re: graceful-stop closes established connections without response

On 1/29/24 9:05 AM, Eric Covener wrote:
Maybe I wasn't clear enough but this patch makes sense only if there
is something in place that prevents new connections from arriving at
the stopping httpd children processes (like a frontend/load-balancer
or a tcp/bpf filter), otherwise they may never really stop which does
not help for a graceful stop/restart obviously. So this change (if
useful) should be guarded by a GracefulDrain on/off or something
config option to not hurt the other use cases.

Thanks Yann!

It seems to me If there is no such LB/VIP that stops new connections
from landing on this server, the new option should be avoided.
But if there is such a LB/VIP, the option is not really needed.  Is it fair?

indeed. i tried to convey this in my most-recent response, but i think you put it much more clearly.

we have essentially starting removing servers from the backend pool before issuing the graceful-stop. _when_ this is feasible, it does obviate the need for any changes at the httpd level. but it still leaves us with the possibility of resetting established connections during unplanned shutdown, such as an unexpected host reboot.

but, as indicated previously, i think i am satisfied with this approach after gaining understanding the underlying mechanisms.