Session persist in apache

Hi,

We have Apache configured as Frontend web server  for our backend java application over ajp protocol and using mod_jk. Now, we want to maintain the user session for some period of time,

For ex: If a user is logged in using his email & password in the morning, he/she should stay logged in till 4hrs, no matter how many times he/she closes the same browser and reopens it.

I came to know about mod_session module, but not sure how to configure for the above requirement. Also, we don't want to store user credentials on apache web server (like storing user related info in conf/passwd).

Cheers
-Vicky