Redirect to backend with received URL as a parameter

Hi *
    I'm serving some kind of a home page to customers, that has to be mapped to a pre-existent backend, and every "home page" URI is entered in a database table, with the backend URL to be called. What I think I have to do is to redirect with some kind of rewrite with the full URL that was entered in the browser (the backend will split and sanitize it), like

user enters   https://customer1.example.com
I need to redirect to something like "https://somesite.com/caller?customer1.example.com";

Since I'm using Apache for some ears now, but never stopped fighting with rewrite module and its syntax, can anyone shed some light on how to achieve this?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Moreno