"Size of Request header field exceeds limit" despite changed limits - how to debugg further?

Hi!

* Alexander Reichle-Schmehl <alexander@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [220315 14:34]:

> We initially tried to fix that by setting the LimitRequestFieldSize
> configuration setting and asking the users to clear their cookies and
> browser caches.  That seems to have solved the problem for some, but not
> for all of them.  So we increased the value several times, and have now
> reached LimitRequestFieldSize 33554432.  Looking at the documentation
> and the default value, that seems to be gigantic for me.

Okay, apparently I should have read the documentation more carefully.
We tried to set this in the global server configuration, and misread
this warning in the documentation [1]:

=====
When name-based virtual hosting is used, the value for this directive
is taken from the default (first-listed) virtual host best matching the
current IP address and port combination.
=====

We do use virtual hosts, hence the global setting was ignored.  The
"users" we seemed to have fixed by this, had probaly just some broken
cookies, and got access by cleaning them.

Moving the LimitRequestFieldSize setting to the virtual host solved the
problem.

Best regards,
  Alexander

Links: