"Size of Request header field exceeds limit" despite changed limits - how to debugg further?

Hi!

We have a web application hosted on a Debian 10 server running httpd
version 2.4.28.  Recently we activated kerberos authentication on it
using the auth_kerb module.

That resulted in some of our users being unable to login to it.  They
receive errros "Bad request: Your browser send a request this server
could not understand. Size of Request header field exceeds limit".

We initially tried to fix that by setting the LimitRequestFieldSize
configuration setting and asking the users to clear their cookies and
browser caches.  That seems to have solved the problem for some, but not
for all of them.  So we increased the value several times, and have now
reached LimitRequestFieldSize 33554432.  Looking at the documentation
and the default value, that seems to be gigantic for me.

However we still have user not being able to login.  So I am wondering
we are still on the right track by increasing that limit again and
again.

So far however I didn't find any other solutions or even hints and am
wondering how to continue with that topic...

Is it possible that this error is caused by something else?  Or it it
possible to log the size of the headers in use?  Or can I check, if that
setting is actually used?  I set in the main apache configuration file.
It is not overwritten in any virtual host or other settings.

Enabling debugg level logs also didn't helped me much.  I don't
know what I am looking for.

Best regards,
  Alexander