Re: Does Apache 2.4.37 support websockets?

Hello Eric and others,

Thank you for the quick reply!
I hope you are right and that I don't need to upgrade Apache!

Can I describe the problem to you so that maybe you know what could be wrong?
I will try to explain it as short as possible.

I have an Intel NUC (the host) on which I run a virtual machine.
In this virtual machine I run a container, with OpenVSCode (an online IDE) installed in it.
The container runs on port 3000.

>From the host I proxy all the traffic from port 3000 to the virtual machine.
When I now type in the address my.domain.com:3000, I get to see OpenVSCode, but I also get the message 'Error: WebSocket close with status code 1006'.

According to some people from OpenVSCode this message is caused by an outdated Apache who shouldn't correctly handle websockets.
But according to you this is probably not right.

The virtualhost file on the host is:

<VirtualHost *:3000 >
    ServerName [your.domain.com]

    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:Connection} Upgrade [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:Upgrade} websocket [NC]
    RewriteRule /(.*) ws://[IP address virtual machine]:3000/$1 [P,L]

    ProxyPreserveHost On
    ProxyPass / http://[IP address virtual machine]:3000/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://[IP address virtual machine]:3000/

    SSLCertificateFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/[your.domain.com]/fullchain.pem
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/[your.domain.com]/privkey.pem
    Include /etc/letsencrypt/options-ssl-apache.conf
    SSLEngine on
</VirtualHost>

Do you (or someone else) see any errors or mistakes, or have an idea what causes the error message 'WebSocket close with status code 1006'?

I use RHEL 8.5 and the module mod_proxy_wstunnel is installed by default.

An image of my setup can be found here:
https://github.com/gitpod-io/openvscode-server/discussions/278

Any suggestion about what I could do, is welcome!

Regards,

Jeroen Verhoeckx

Support the independent web, use Firefox