Re: Reverse proxy to local container suddenly & randomly 503

On Sunday 23 May 2021 at 13:15:13, lejeczek wrote:

> Hi guys.
>
> I have a regular & pretty vanilla reverse proxy

Can you show us the configuration for this?

> to a Linux container (also Apache) which is on the same host.

Out of interest, why?  Why use Apache as a reverse proxy to another Apache
instance on the same machine?

> Sometimes and randomly - if there is only pattern if behavior then I'd say
> proxy does 503 299 after "some" period of inactivity - would not proxy.

Show us more detail from the access log.  You say this happens after some
period of inactivity - can you show us all the log file lines you get after
that inactivity, when the problem occurs?

> Suffices I do, I'm on CentOS,:
> -> $ systemctl reload httpd.service
> and all comes back up and site is available again.

Does that restart both Apache instances or just the reverse proxy?

> I'll be grateful for any ideas and suggestion on how to
> troubleshoot and fix it.

I'd start by:

 - examining the log files of the proxy server
 - examining the log files of the web server
 - checking that the web service is running when the proxy complains
 - accessing the web service directly (bypass the proxy) to see whether the
response is as expected

Antony.

--
I wasn't sure about having a beard at first, but then it grew on me.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.