Public viewing when it should be private

Hello user group.

I maintain a website that authenticates users through an internal single-sign-on app.

I have a documentation page that is publically viewable but I only want it viewable after authentication. I've looked into .htaccess but I don't want a separate login process for users to view documentation. I want them to be able to login through our internal SSO and automatically have access to those documents that are currently stored on the web server.

Is this possible to do through Apache or should these static documentation pages be put on our app servers and then served up for authenticated users?

I'm not finding a way to avoid a second authentication process just to view documentation that is private info for only authorized users

(Fyi we have thousands of users that need access to this documentation.)