Re: Apache Reverse Proxy for more than one website.

On Wednesday 17 March 2021 at 17:21:24, Jason Long wrote:

> Why this is a matter to the Apache? In a real scenario, consider that an
> Apache Reverse Proxy servicing to 100 web servers, one of these servers is
> turned off or...Apache must service to other servers!! I turned off a
> server to solve this conflict. Why Apache never read another Virtual Host
> configuration?

Because you have not put all the potential servers into the same definition.

Apache regards one VirtualHost as being different from another.

I mean, suppose you have two VirtualHosts:

music.example.com --> 198.51.100.36

images.example.com --> 203.0.113.78

If you send a request into Apache for images.example.com and 203.0.113.78 is
not available, you're not going to want the other machine which contains music
to try to answer the request, are you?

If you want more than one back-end server to be able to answer a request which
comes in, they must be put into a single VirtualHost definition using

https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_proxy_balancer.html

Antony.

--
"Linux is going to be part of the future. It's going to be like Unix was."

 - Peter Moore, Asia-Pacific general manager, Microsoft

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.