Re: Replays from Internet

On Tuesday 19 January 2021 at 18:00:11, Ruben Safir wrote:

> this has nothing to do with apache

I think that's a somewhat harsh way of putting it, but I do agree that since
"that page does not show in the httpd log as having been served" you are
correct, and the problem lies elsewhere.  I would suggest looking at any
database logs for transactions made, to see whether that shows where the
duplicate order updates came from.

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 11:55:41AM -0500, John wrote:
> > Since the beginning of 2021 we have encountered two online orders and
> > possibly a third, where the customer denies making the order and the
> > httpd log seems to confirm that.
> >
> > In each case, the person made an order and a day or more later a
> > second order was placed for the same item and carrying the same credit
> > card information.  Since everything looked valid and the delay
> > bypassed our duplicate order check, the order was accepted.
> >
> > Some background: a customer can connect to our catalogue and move
> > around untracked for as long as they want until they decide to place
> > an order.  At this point there is only one path to follow to enter
> > address info, credit card, etc. This ends with a summary of the order
> > and if they click to proceed, it POST's the server order processor
> > with the relevant info causing the credit card to be charged and the
> > order to be entered. In total 3 scripts must be processed in the
> > correct order.
> >
> > I scanned for the customer's IP in the httpd access log in each case
> > and found that when they made the valid order they were on our
> > catalogue and followed the correct path to place the order, confirming
> > it as expected.
> >
> > BUT, and here is what I am having trouble understanding, for the
> > invalid order ONLY the last request was logged as received by httpd.
> > It shows the correct source (ie the page that should have resulted in
> > an order) yet that page does not show in the httpd log as having been
> > served.  In one case, NO other page was served to that customer on
> > that day ahead of the received order, at least judging from IP
> > addresses in use.
> >
> > So what I appear to be seeing is a replay from the Internet which I
> > find hard to accept as real.  Has anyone ever seen this before and if
> > so what did they do to resolve it?  The only other possibility that I
> > can think of is that their browser cached the page and re-transmitted
> > it. (a violation of the HTML standard I think for a form page).
> >
> > The environment is Apache 2.4.25 on Fedora using php-fpm.
> >
> > Thanks in advance and apologies for the length of this post.

Regards,

Antony.

--
"Black holes are where God divided by zero."

 - Steven Wright

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.