RE: Bad Gateway with large file upload [EXT]

Not sure about tuning the network – that is out of my skill set – I am lucky at work to have a 1G connection to my desk so these sort of uploads are not an issue. From home I only have around 18M so it is noticeable how long uploads take. You may want to look to see if you have intermediate hosts on your network – are you going through a transparent proxy?

If the user is using a VPN there is often a large overhead than you see on the local network – not just the “distance” he is away – but whatever security layer the VPN adds, and whether content goes through multiple different nodes to get to you. We have noticed quite large differences with users going through VPNs having major issues. And remember that remotely many users will be using asymmetric connections – download is fast, upload is usually throttled to between 10 and 25% of the download speed.

James

From: eric tse <hfetse@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 29 October 2020 19:16
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Bad Gateway with large file upload [EXT]

Good afternoon James

Thank you very much for your help.

We are inside a working organization network.

The client is using VPN.

I don't know if you guys have a little bit more extra tips/directions to tune the enterprise network,

if not, it is all okay for now.

Thank you very much for your help.

Thanks and regards
Eric

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 12:03 PM James Smith <js5@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is your test over a local network or over the internet. If the latter there is little you can do.

HTTP upload was never really designed for large files like this. That’s why more languages/frameworks put a limit on the size of uploads. And these are usually in the 5-10M size.

There are much better ways of transferring large files in web-browsers nowadays using clever _javascript_ which slices the file and a script which stitches the parts back together at your end – transfers are smaller and avoids time outs. Can also parallelize them if required.

James