force secondary authentication for one Proxy URL QUERY_STRING

Hi.

I am using a Tomcat application that is proxied through an Apache httpd server using ProxyPass/ProxyReverse. That part is working perfectly.

The application allows all users to use a particular function which I would like to limit to only specific users. The URL that I would like to limit looks like this:

https://example.com/#/?key=KJKJHjkdflkjsdflkjJhdsfjhf

If I add to my VirtualHost:

<Proxy "*">
  <insert my Apache auth of choice>
  Require valid-user
</Proxy>

... then, of course, the user has to authenticate immediately even when visiting just https://example.com

I want to only apply authentication when the QUERY_STRING includes "?key".

I know I can't evaluate the QUERY_STRING in the <Proxy> section. However, I should be able to add an IF expression for that exact purpose:

<Proxy "*">
  <If "%QUERY_STRING =~ /key/">
    <insert my Apache auth of choice>
    Require valid-user
  </If>
</Proxy>

This does not work either. I don't get any debugging so I don't know why it doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!