How to permanently disable default config files

Running the Centos7 packaged httpd, I didn't want the config files in /etc/httpd/conf.d (autoindex.conf, userdir.conf and welcome.conf) to load.  I thought I was being clever and renamed them all to name.disable so they there there for my reference, but wouldn't load the modules and settings.

Then I did a yum update to httpd.  The disable files were still there, but the installer replaced the "missing" .conf file which kept my instance from loading (I have disabled modules necessary for some of the config lines in these conf files).

Is there a "standard" way to remove files so a yum update install doesn't replace them?  I have "comment out all the lines in the conf files and leave them in place" as a fallback, but I was wondering if I'm missing the "correct" way to do this.  I can't imagine I'm the only person who doesn't want those files to load on a default install.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have,

Scott