Re: Debugging apache configs

On 01 May 2020, at 16:19, Rich Bowen <rbowen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(Tried to fix the quote levels, apologies if I missed something)

>> The login in apache is… well, terrible? Appalling? Almost entirely a waste of disk space?
>
> You can configure it to whatever level suits you. That's your choice.

Changing the level doesn’t actually improve the logging though, just changes how much or little is logged.

>> I mean, 86%% of my error log (yes, I checked and did the calculation) is  ever so helpful lines like this:
>>
>> [Fri May 01 15:53:14.704934 2020] [ssl:info] [pid 17522] [client 65.121.55.45:46411] AH01964: Connection to child 1 established (server www.covisp.net:443)
>>
>> Really? That’s an ERROR? In what universe is that an error? And how they hell is it even HELPFUL since it is entirely a stand-alone line devoid of any context whatsoever?

> No. It's an info. Says right there in the message.

It is logged to httpd-error.log

>> [Fri May 01 15:26:31.491833 2020] [ssl:info] [pid 17508] AH01914: Configuring server www.covisp.net:443 for SSL protocol
>>
>> Yep, that is an error I need to be aware of. Sure.

> Also an info

Also logged to httpd-error.log

> I'm completely unclear what the purpose of this comment is. If you're asking what the error message means I can probably help you with that, but it kind of sounds like you're picking a fight here. Did you have an actual question?

Not picking a fight, just frustrated by the very bad user-hostile logging. I suppose it’s great for log analysis tools, but not so great for humans.

--
I WILL NOT PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO BART Bart chalkboard Ep. 7F09