Does AuthBasicFake work?

Hi!

mod_auth_basic AuthBasicFake is cross-referenced in the documentation with mod_ssl SSLOptions +FakeBasicAuth, suggesting that they provide similar functionality.

However, while SSLOptions +FakeBasicAuth works great with the standard Apache authentication methods (in fact, that appears to be what it's intended for), it seems that AuthBasicFake does not.

For example, I expect the following to work, but it doesn't:
(CentOS 7 / httpd-2.4.6-90)

httpd.conf:
<Location />
AuthBasicFake "foobar"
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Foobar"
AuthUserFile "/etc/httpd/conf.d/htpasswd"
Require valid-user
</Location>

htpasswd:
foobar:xxj31ZMTZzkVA

Is this a documentation error, or is AuthBasicFake broken?

What I'm trying to accomplish is to simply pass one of the components of a client certificate Subject DN (rather than the full DN) along to a standard authentication method.

Like the example in the docs: AuthBasicFake "%{SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_Email}"

Any suggestions?

--
Best regards,
Christer Palm