Re: Re: Configuration question

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 9:18 AM o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 7:21 AM Eric Covener <covener@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > So I'm coming back to my previous question - - - - how do I set up different
> > > FQDNs (hostnames) on 'one' machine?
> >
> > On your client you test from? Edit /etc/hosts and make up whatever
> > hosts you want.
> > For other users? Actually setup the hostnames you need to all point to
> > the same IP.
> >
> OK this I've experimented with.
> If I edit the /etc/hosts file I can add any number of names and they
> all resolve
> to localhost (or the machine but they all resolve to the same place).
> When I change
> the hostname - - - - the FQDN - - - - well I don't see how there is
> more than one
> option for that. So when an application complains that there isn't an
> 'appropriate'
> FQDN (or whatever the actual wording in the complaint was) then the hostname
> or FQDN was 'not' set.
>
> So I can set up /etc/hosts like:
> 192.168.1.2  white
> 192.168.1.2  yellow
> 192.168.1.2  green
> 192.168.1.2  red
> and I have different hosts. But my FQDN is still 'pink' well that
> doesn't seem to work.
>
> So what could I do to resolve this issue?
>
> I cannot use 192.168.1.2 for my FQDN.
> I do not know how to have more than one FQDN.
>
> Do I change my machines FQDN to pink.com and then use the other hosts
> in /etc/hosts?

You can make up FQDN's in /etc/hosts the same way and they'll also
resolve for your clients and be matchable by name-based virtual hosts.

The machines notion of its own single FQDN is not relevant to 99% of
httpd configurations.  It's only relevant if you omit the ServerName
directive and the server has to guess.