Re: Re: Configuration question

> Date: Monday, January 27, 2020 16:51:44 -0600
> From: o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 4:17 PM Richard wrote:
>>
>> > Date: Monday, January 27, 2020 09:42:51 -0600
>> > From: o1bigtenor <o1bigtenor@xxxxxxxxx>
>> >
>> > So I don't really need to use 'virtual hosts'. What I am actually
>> > needing to do is to use different ports to the same 'stack'
>> > rather than creating different 'stacks'.
>> >
>> > By this I mean that I don't need to use different server
>> > configurations for each application rather than I need to 'just'
>> > assign different ports to the different applications and this
>> > should work.
>>
>> I think you may be confusing "virtual machines" and "(apache)
>> virtual hosts". A virtual machine (VM) is indeed a whole "stack"
>> (as you are referring to things). A[n apache] virtual host
>> environment is simply configuring an instance of apache to serve
>> content (more or less) as if it's on different VMs. This will
>> allow you to use different document roots for each content set as
>> well as serve out on different ports and/or hostnames from a
>> single machine.
>>
>> In general I try to avoid serving content on non-standard
>> http/https ports as it tends to be confusing to users. Using
>> different hostnames and/or IPnumbers is cleaner and causes fewer
>> headaches.
>>
> It may have not been clear but I was asking as to whether I should
> be using virtual hosts or something else (maybe different port
> numbers).
>
> Different hostnames - - - - how do I have that on one physical
> machine?
>
> Are you recommending using subdomains? (I think that's what its
> called!?!)

If you're trying to serve your content via http, which appears to be
your goal, then to serve it out on different ports - without using
the apache virtual host configuration - you'd need to have multiple
instances of apache running. That's possible, but very ugly.

You may want to read the apache virtual host documentation:

  <https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/vhosts/>

Any number of hostnames (unique or sub-domains) can resolve to the
same ipnumber, the responding software simply needs to know how to
handle things, assuming that different responses are necessary. Look
at the "name-based virtual host" information in the vhosts
documentation. [A machine can also have multiple ipnumbers assigned
to it.]