Re: Compiling Apache with Non-System OpenSSL

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 1:39 AM Nigel B. Peck <nigelbpeck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for the answers, great to have more insight on this.
>
> Is this a bug? Shouldn't it set up the linking correctly itself when
> the library has been specified using `--with-ssl`, as it does for
> `--with-pcre`? I'm considering submitting a bug report, but only want
> to do so if it really is.

In my opinion, this is not a bug. autoconf has been handling this the
way it currently does for decades. Adding an RUN_PATH has the potentially
unwanted side effect that the binary will preferentially use libraries from
that directory instead of the system search paths. Additionally, the library
locations during build time are frequently different from those used at
run time. If you want your library locations fixed at build time, try cmake.

rainer