Scoreboard file

Hi,

According to Apache documentation, parent and Child processes communicate with shared memory. But I don't have shared memory, therefore they are communicating through scoreboard file.

I added " ScoreBoardFile /apache/logs/apache_runtime_status " in httpd.conf to create file at this location. When I started, apache_runtime_status file get created at above location. But this file contains only 4 Bytes and  file is not getting updated with load on apache. Then how child and parent processes are communicating with this 4 Byte scoreboard file?  Is there any other file or way to communicate b/w child and parent process other than shared memory or scoreboard file ?

Thanks
Hemant