Re: Re: How to browse to index.php OR index.html on WordPress site?

Le 24/02/2018 à 16:32, Kent West a écrit :
Well, instead of becoming more of an expert than the experts I asked, I had
hoped the experts I asked could tell me how to do it.
Do you prefer receive fish or learn how to fish ? ;-)
Become a expert is not necessary, but you "must" do better cause you
are a part of world Internet chain.
"The resistance of a chain is worth the resistance of the weakest of
its link"
In ancient times or in more hostile countries, someone would be
responsible for answering to you "RTFM"…
Those to whom you will ask for help may sometimes answer, give you
research tips or advice but the vast majority of the time, nobody will
do for you because we can not know for you what is good for you.
No interference.

I understand that setting up/monitoring a server is not a birth gift, and I
hope I haven't left that impression. If so, I apologize. On the other hand,
does running a mom&pop web-site require a full-time professional career
commitment?
It is a real job but non-professional can do it.
It's a big work to learn it by own-self.
My apologies, I correct: It's a big work.

cp /etc/wordpress/config-sitename.org /etc/wordpress/
config-beta.sitename.orgIs it the real address in your system tree ?

[…]

This is the way Debian does it; as I understand it, this file *is* a conf
file, and not a public file.

No, "sitename" is not the real address.
Maybe I don't understand but don't you have an address like those :
/etc/httpd/sites-available
/etc/apache2/sites-available
/etc/apache2/vhosts.d/

The file "wp.conf" goes to /etc/apache2/[the good rep] but
WP's files need to go in /srv/www (depending your version and OS)
I never seen "/etc/wordpress/".
Wich versionS do you use ?

Modify your WP conf here -> https://domain.tld/wp-admin/op
tions-general.php
   { WordPress Address (URL), Site Address (URL) }¹
Beside of it, it can need 24-48h to complete DNS propagation around
the world.

[…]

Now I can browse to index.html, and then click on the link to go to the
beta site.

Thanks to you, and to all who responded!

You're welcome :-)

Best regards,
--
benoist