How to browse to index.php OR index.html on WordPress site?

I have a WordPress site that works. If my /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/sitename.conf file is set with the "DirectoryIndex index.php" directive, all is well, and pointing a web-browser to http://sitename.org loads the sitename's index.php file as it should.

But I need to temporarily put up a dummy site, consisting of just a very simply index.html file. That's easy enough; I create the index.html file, and then change the sitename.conf file to "DirectoryIndex index.html" and restart Apache2. All is good.

But I still need to manually be able to get to the full-blown .php-based site. When I web-browse to sitename/index.php, it reroutes to sitename/index.html. If I change the .conf file to "DirectoryIndex index.html index.php" and restart Apache2, that doesn't help.

It seems I can serve index.html OR index.php, but not both at the same time (depending on the URL entered into the web-browser's URL bar).

Bonus points after getting this to work: Adding a button in the "index.html" file that allows the viewer to "Click here to get to Full Site" that points to "index.php".

I've been googling all morning and part of last night to figure this out, with no joy. Thanks for any help you can throw my way!

--
Kent West                    <")))><