Re: Apache 2.0 architecture

Hi Hermant,

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 10:45 AM, Hemant Chaudhary
<hemantdude.chaudhary@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Q1. Startup process is reading configuration two times and creating
> conftree. Why do we need to read configuration script twice? Is there any
> difference in conftree after first and second read of configuration script.

The first (dry-)load/startup is used to test the configuration and
report errors on the console (if any).
This is where httpd stops when called with "-t", and where some
modules can do specific tests and report startup errors before the
process is detached.

> Q2.  When we start apache, it starts with startup process and then it
> detaches and starts Master/Parent Process. After that Master Process take
> control and spawn child processes. Why do we need to detach startup process
> and start Master Process ?

httpd is (can be run as) a daemon, and as such runs detached from
terminals and with its own session id (like any unix daemon).
It helps with signals and other non-daemon headaches like when the
terminal is closed...
This can be changed by passing "-D FOREGROUND" or "-D NO_DETACH" to
the command line.

> Q3. If I will start my server in debug mode i:e with -X option then what of
> the apache functionality will I loose other than child spawn ?

Mainly you'll lose the ability to (gracefully) restart httpd (and
possibly secondary, fatal signals won't be caught/logged either).
This is kind of degraded mode, where httpd won't perform as well as in
normal mode in any case...

Regards,
Yann.

PS: Btw, did you notice http://svn.apache.org/r1822537 ?
It replaces r1814112 which did not work for threaded MPMs (as you
reported), and should address the issues you had when stopping httpd
(cleanups should be run now with -X).