Apache 2.4: Proxy certificate configuration question

Hello,

when Apache is configured as a WebServer I can configure the private
key and the certificate of the server separately using
SSLCertificateFile and SSLCertificateKeyFile.

When configuring Apache as an HTTP Proxy (Reverse Proxy or Forward
Proxy) it seems I can only configure the proxy private key and
certificate if they are combined into a single PEM file with
SSLProxyMachineCertificateFile.

Is that understanding corrector is there also a way to defined key and
certificate for an HTTP Proxy configuration separately?

Regards
Markus