RE: Apache Builds on Linux

Perhaps this is a mis-defined problem where you've just assumed you need to relocate the binaries?  Do you just need the ability to have multiple simultaneous installs of Apache or the ability for users to use storage paths outside your control/knowledge?  If you set the prefix to a version-specific string, that lets you have multiple concurrent installs.  Then, just keep your config outside that tree and your various versions of code never overlap.

Relocatable httpd is certainly not the norm, but I'm guessing they are using scripts, environment variables (possibly LD_PRELOAD), etc. to work around the associated problems.

Rick Houser
Web Administration