Re: 2.4 named virtual hosts question

On 12/09/16 15:25, Rainer Canavan wrote:

However, in this example, you'd add a virtualhost that may expose
globally configured resources without the individual access controls of
the "real" vhosts. On top of that, the additional vhost may not see any
significant testing in case of configuration changes.
I don't get it, can you please provide an example? IMO any additional vhosts should not depend at all on what's inside this vhost.

Do _exactly_ that, e.g. with a RewriteRule to - and RewriteCond that
checks the Host: header.
You mean, outside any virtualhost? Why do you think it's better? Initial problem was default virtualhost -- I want none. Your method only protects from absence of Host header, not from incorrect Host header, SNI etc. IMO presupposing Apache vhost selection is bad solution here.

If you're really serious, you'd also have to make sure that any error messages
don't contain the hostname, and you'd have to set reverse DNS lookups to
point to a useless name.
I did.

Overall I'd say that the negligible gain in
perceived security isn't worth the effort or the additional risks
(both regarding security and availability).
Well, for one thing log messages from actual vhosts and from internet scans are separated, this alone saves a lot of time.

--

With Best Regards,
Marat Khalili