Re: 2.4 named virtual hosts question

There has to be some configuration Apache will use if it cannot match any virtualhost; or, if no hostname is specified by client. You can make a configuration that denies access in this case, and put it before others. That's what I use:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName default

    <Directory />
        AllowOverride none
        Order Allow,Deny
        Require all denied
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

SSLStrictSNIVHostCheck on
<VirtualHost *:443>
    ServerName default

    SSLEngine on
    SSLCertificateFile  /etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
    <Directory />
        AllowOverride none
        Order Allow,Deny
        Require all denied