Re: Re: throttling IP addresses

Are you referring to a 3rd-party firewall in front of the machine or
the OS's firewall. Most *nix system (built-in) firewalls that I've
dealt with have a lot of granularity and capabilities. They can
certainly do an IP-specific (or range) blocks on one (or all) ports
and some can do the throttling for you. That's what I've used when
I've needed to deal with issues like yours. Changing a web server
response to a 403 doesn't have all that much effect if you're
dealing with high-volume traffic.