Problem with LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable in httpd CentOS 7.1

Hello,
I am using the default httpd in CentOS 7.1, that is version 2.4.6-40.

I need to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable so that it is available to CGI scripts as native system environment variable.
I do this by setting at the end of the file /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:

setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH <path>

I have always done this in previous versions and that has always worked fine.
But is does not work in CentOS 7.1.

I verified this by accessing the printenv.cgi script: the variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not in its output.

The problem is specific of this variable: I can set any other variable I tested by using the:

setenv <VARIABLE> <value>

code at the end of httpd.conf: it always works and - after restarting the httpd service - printenv.cgi shows the variable and its value. It is just with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH that it does not work.

I tried to understand if its value is overridden somewhere, but I could not find anything.
Can someone please suggest some solution to this problem?
Thanks.
    Hilbert