Re: Getting "connection refused" Apache 2.4

I always recommend to specify a fixed ServerLimit Value, if you have 500 processes but you allow 150 clients, I think you are just filling a backlog of connections which are not attended until you get to a limit of backlogged connections.

Do you have specific errors in apache? Check the server config context error log first.

Also later if you have correctly configured your mpm for the amount of real clients you will have,  it is worth a try to check ulimit values "ulimit -a" for root. Also consider if you start apache using "sudo", your ulimit values will be used instead of root's.