Re: Running Apache in Single Process Mode for Docker Container?

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 3:26 PM, David Aronchick <aronchick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I appreciate your feedback. I apologize for providing additional context about my question, I won't do that in the future.

No need to apologize. It just sounded like you were asking for advice about making a program interact with a Docker container in a specific manner. Your reworded problem statement below makes it clearer how this community can help.

All I'm looking to do is run Apache in single threaded non-forking mode, and output all its output to stdio/stderr. I thought that some folks on this list might have done that before (inside or outside a Docker container) and wanted to know how to do that. As the language in the documentation implied that -X would do this (but should NOT be used for production purposes), but did not explain _why_ it should not be used for production purposes.

There may be ways to configure Apache HTTP server to log to stdout and stderr that also works on non-UNIX systems. But the standard, program agnostic, method on a UNIX system is to specify the paths /dev/stdout (or /dev/fd/1) and /dev/stderr (or /dev/fd/2) wherever you would specify the name of the file to be used. I just tested the following config file entries on my system and it worked as expected:

CustomLog "/dev/stdout" krader_custom
ErrorLog "/dev/stderr"

I had tried -DFOREGROUND before, but had not tried -DNO_DETACH. I'll do that.

Works for me. Let us know if it doesn't work for you.

--
Kurtis Rader