Re: Re: Apache Upgrade on Red Hat question

> On 8/10/15 12:44 PM, "Good Guy" <xfsgpr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 10/08/2015 15:35, Harold Sebastin wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have Apache 2.2.3 on RHEL 5.8. What procedures or steps I need
>>> to take to upgrade to the latest version 2.4.16?
>>> Thanks.
>>> Harold
>>
>> I recently upgraded version 2.2.29 to 2.4.16 on Windows and the
>> procedure was pretty simple.  In my case htdocs was completely
>> separate from the core so the upgrade was just as normal as you
>> would install a fresh server.
>>
>> In my case, I first made the list of which modules are to be
>> loaded; I also made a print out of the old config file just in
>> case I get the folders wrong.  After this you can go ahead and
>> the configuration you may need to do are as follows:
>>
>> ServerName & port number
>> ServerAdmin
>> Config for server side includes
>> DirectoryIndex
>> Config for php and perl  - for php to decide whether to run as
>> fastCGI or as a module
>> LoadModules
>> DocumentRoot
>>
>> That is all I had to do;  The php was upgraded before apache was
>> so the security features were already in place.
>>
>> I guess in Linux environment it must be different but you get the
>> idea. Be organized and document everything first before starting
>> anything.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
> From: "Rose, John B" <jbrose@xxxxxxx>
> Date: Monday, August 10, 2015 16:50:55 +0000
>
> We went from 2.2 to 2.4 and used these documents, among others ?.
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/upgrading.html
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/misc/perf-tuning.html
>
> We also went from prefork/mod_php to Event MPM and php-fpm
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/new_features_2_4.html
> https://wiki.apache.org/httpd/PHP-FPM

One of the better places for newer releases of things like
php/mysql/httpd that are packaged for RHEL (and re-spins) is the IUS
repository, <https://iuscommunity.org/>. While I'm seeing newer
releases of httpd for RHEL-6, I don't see any for RHEL-5, but you
might want to ask. Of course, you could build an RPM from the httpd
source, (or build/install from source outside of the rpm manager).

Note, RHEL-5 is in the last ~1.5 years of its 10 year life, so you
may want to consider moving to -6 or -7.