Re: mod_systemd and Apache 2.4

On 2015-01-21 15:20, Rose, John B wrote:
Looking around I see this in the default Apache 2.4.6 setup on Red Hat 7 ..

/etc/httpd/conf.modules.d/00-systemd.conf

I also see the LoadModule is uncommented …

LoadModule systemd_module modules/mod_systemd.so [...]

My question is, is that module doing anything in 2.4?

Yes. Red Hat backports functionality all the time. In this case, see the files

httpd-2.4.10-mod_systemd.patch
httpd-2.4.10-detect-systemd.patch

at http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/httpd.git/tree/ Although these are for Fedora, not RHEL7, the two are very similar. If you want something specific to RHEL7, download and look at the SRPM for httpd provided by Red Hat.

If not, then commenting out the LoadModule seems like a good thing to do to reduce the RAM usage. Correct?

Why is it uncommented by default?
It is uncommented by default because is is used by default on RHEL7 systems.

My opinion is that commenting it out would be a bad thing to do:

- You would probably have to change your systemd unit files under RHEL7 to start up httpd differently. - You would make your system non-standard (for a RHEL7 system), making things harder for people who are familiar with RHEL7 who administer it later.
- mod_systemd is not likely using any significant amount of RAM.

--
  Mark Montague
  mark@xxxxxxxxxxx