Re: Apache 2.4 create a huge amount of shared memory segments

If migrating to 2.4, I would suggest using the method Yann describes
and have each balancer defined in its own vhost section. This is
because it is most likely that inheriting balancers will be
deprecated/removed in later versions of httpd, simply because
(1) it doesn't make sense and (2) causes the kinds of issues
you see.

I would recommend using mod_macro to help out with your migration;
you could create a macro Vhost definition...