Re: Apache 2.4 create a huge amount of shared memory segments

Hi Sylvain,

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Sylvain Goulmy <sygoulmy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My configuration is currently defining 338 virtual hosts and 169 proxy
> balancers.
>
> The balancers are defined in the main section. Each virtual host refers only
> one balancer.
>
> Here what i notice :
> - Apache creates one shm for each balancer
> - Each virtual hosts creates one shm for each balancer even if it doesn't
> refer it...

in 2.4, each vhost's balancer needs it own SHM plus as much SHMs as
the balancer's members (the dynamic balancer-manager manages per
vhost).
By declaring all the balancers in the main config (and using
"BalancerInherit on" to make them *all* available in *all* the
vhosts), you multiply that number by the number of balancers and the
number of of vhosts...

> Am i missing a directive that could avoid that behaviour or do i have to
> redesign my all configuration by moving each balancer definition at the
> virtual host level ?

You can't set "BalancerInherit off" since the "main" balancers won't
be usable in the vhosts anymore.
Since moreover "each virtual host refers only one balancer" in your
configuration, you'd better declare each balancer in the corresponding
vhost, and see that no more shared-memory than needed will be created
(depending on the number of balancer members used by each vhost).

Regards,
Yann.