Re: can Apache do a sql query and Authenticate only some users?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 23:05:22 +0000
Mark jensen <ngiw2012@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> what I really want is to deploy single sign on, I have authenticates
> users using ieee802.1x and put the authenticated users in a DB, BUT I
> authenticate only the inside ( inside my network ) users, and I don't
> want apache to reauthenticate them, I want apache only to
> authenticate the outside users, what I have suggested in the last
> message is to let apache do a query to my DB and find if the users is
> already authenticated by ieee802.1x : If apache find the user on this
> DB it don't ask him for a credentials, otherwise it does

I am still missing the part where you know who the user is so that you
know whether or not to authenticate him.  Until he logs in you don't
know who he is but it sounds like you want to use his identity to
decide whether he needs to log in or not.

You mention IEEE 802.1X.  That authenticates a device.  Do you have
some sort of guarantee that a device only has one user?

Anyway, assuming that you have all the guarantees that you need I don't
think that HTTP authentication will work for you.  It sounds like you
need to use session cookies and some programming for this to work.  You
can base your logic on the IP address of the sender and either send
them to a login screen or directly to the application.  Remember, if
they aren't inside your network you have to be aware that multiple
devices can share one IP address due to NAT and even one real device
can have multiple users.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
System Administrator, Vex.Net