Re: Serve web pages from a different server

On 16 Jul 2014, at 5:17 PM, John Garrett wrote:
> Is there a way to use the virtual server directive to serve web pages from a
> different server with a different IP address than my production
> FreeBSD/Apache box?
>
> I have DNS set up so website1.com and website2.com both resolve to the
> machine running Apache
>
> I've been trying to set up a virtual host in the httpd.conf of my FreeBSD
> server so when a user hits website1.com it is served off the Apache machine,
> but when the user types in the URL of website2.com Apache seamlessly
> redirects to a machine on the same subnet running IIS.

Is there a reason that the DNS record for website2.com can't simply resolve to the IP address of the IIS machine? That seems like the simplest solution. :) Assuming that won't work for some reason, I can think of two approaches:

1) Give a name to the IIS server (iis.website2.com, maybe) and have Apache issue a redirect to that hostname using the Redirect directive, or mod_rewrite, or whatever. The client will then connect to iis.website2.com to retrieve the page. Their URL bar will change to show "iis.website2.com".

2) Tell Apache to proxy the IIS server, using the ProxyPass directive. When a user connects to website2.com, Apache will then make a connection to the IIS machine, and copy the response back to the user. The user never directly communicates with the IIS machine (it could be behind a firewall, for example).