Proxying XMPP (not http)?

Is mod_proxy capable of proxying XMPP to XMPP?  By this I mean connections from one XMPP server to another XMPP server?

I know that it has been used to proxy user/client connections to the http-bind on an XMPP server, but that's not what I need.  From the documentation on mod_proxy, I'm getting the feeling that the answer is no, but I would like validation.

Katherine Manfre
katherine.manfre@xxxxxxxxx

This document is strictly confidential and intended only for use by the addressee unless otherwise stated. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.