Re: Apache 2.4 - non adoption reasons??

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 6:43 PM, Joey J <Joey@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Apache 2.4 has had a stable release out for over 2 years but is only used by
> 2.5% of active Apache sites.   Why is the adoption so low?? The Apache
> foundation has been recommending upgrading to 2.4 for some time and looking
> at the improvements I see significant value in several.  I don't see any
> reason why anybody wouldn't want to use it but the community seems to think
> it's bad.
>
> What am I missing??
>
> Current market share:
> http://w3techs.com/technologies/details/ws-apache/2.4/all
>
>  -Joey J

It takes a *long* time for commercial people to move to new major
versions of things. People have already mentioned that server releases
have very conservative sets of packages, but you also have to take in
to account the cost-benefit of an upgrade.

If you are on the latest apache 2.2 branch, you are already using a
pretty great httpd, and so there aren't that many benefits from
upgrading, whilst there is a lot of cost - configs need to be updated
and verified. Businesses need to prioritise what is upgraded and what
can remain the same.

In our case, we have an ambition to move from 2.2 to 2.4 on our
reverse proxies, as currently we run two instances of apache, one
using event and serving regular http, and one using worker and serving
SSL. Apache 2.4's event MPM allows serving SSL, and so we can remove
this complexity, and so - eventually - this will be a good upgrade for
us.

However, the system we currently have works perfectly well. It is hard
to justify this upgrade, even though it would give us some maintenance
benefits and performance increases (albeit, unneeded for us).

I've performed the update on a number of personal boxes, for the way I
use apache the changes were minimal.

Cheers

Tom