Re: Where is source for Windows? (was Re: Binary windows 2.4.x distribution)

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 2:06 PM, STF <lapsap7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not looking for some "IT adventure" if that's what you mean.  I have a
> job and I don't have spare time to "explore unknown territories" lol  I
> really want to use Apache httpd in windows at the latest version if
> possible.

So use apachelounge binaries.

> If I need to buy Visual Studio 201x to compile Apache, I'd better pay for
> some commercial alternative :D

Entirely your prerogative.

>> Nobody has posted httpd binaries for Windows to httpd.apache.org in quite
>> a while, and they were never "official" anyway, whatever that means.
>

> Not true.  Cf:
> http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/FAQ#Why_isn.27t_there_a_binary_for_my_platform.3F
> Binaries for Windows are official stuffs.  Or if you like, they are *de
> facto* official stuff provided by Apache.

This just shows never to trust any information on a wiki, it is
inevitably misleading and/or out of date.

>>  Windows is of course supported in the source, and as someone else pointed
>> out there are non-ASF providers of binaries for Windows.
>

> But the lack of specific source for Windows in official FTP server make us
> think otherwise.
>
> Don't take me wrong.  Apache has the freedom to NOT support Windows.  It's
> their choice and we should respect it.  *I* will respect it if that's the
> case.  I'm not angry nor sad.  But I'd rather like a *clear-cut*
> situation/announcement instead of an ambiguous one.

Windows is still supported. httpd project has never provided supported
audited binaries for any platform - even windows.

You will not be able to download compiled binaries for windows from
httpd.apache.org, but apachelounge produce binaries that the
httpd/win32 community use. These are just as official as the previous
binaries that were available on httpd.apache.org, but the 'non
official' status is now much more obvious.

Cheers

Tom