Re: building a web farm

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 11:30 PM, trifo <trifo75@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> Well, I forget to mention that we run on AIX, not on Linux. And so it is.
> The files MUST be consistent in any moment of time. There is a period of
> time when a lot of pages are changing in every 5 minutes.

The point really should be that all files that are served are
consistent and up-to-date, not that all files on all nodes are
consistent all the time.

The second condition can only be met by a distributed file system,
which is complex, costly and difficult to maintain. The first
condition however can be met by using simple local file systems and
sets of nodes, disabling one set of nodes to update files on those
nodes, whilst serving from another set of nodes. Once all the nodes in
the first set are up to date, you switch to serve from that node set,
and start updating the nodes in the second set. Once those are up to
date, you can serve again from all nodes.

This could easily be automated - sad to say, I would probably use
haproxy over mod_proxy_balancer for this, for its better reporting,
management tools and API.

Cheers

Tom