Re: building a web farm

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 09:54:14AM +0100, trifo wrote:
> I am running a web site using Apache httpd on several server nodes to
> provide high availability and performance. At present, the web content
> resides on a clustered filesystem (GPFS) to ensure that all the nodes serve
> the same content in any moment.
>
> Well, GPFS is quite an expensive product, thus the management tries to get
> rid of it. Now my question is this: how to build a high performance
> environement without a clustered filesystem? Where to store the html files,
> and how to ensure the consistency between nodes?

Get a cheaper product?  DRBD perhaps? GFS2? Lustre? can iRODS do what
you need?  If I understand how GPFS works, you might wind up buying
much more storage, but everyone keeps saying that storage is cheap....

> (we have mostly static html pages, but over 400k of them. And there is a
> part which changes regularly)

Does the content have to be absolutely identical 100% of the time, or
can occasional changes ripple through the system on a scale of seconds
to minutes?  rsync is free.  How volatile are your volatile pages?

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood@xxxxxxxxx
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.