webdav trigger external script

I have a requirement to fire a script whenever a file is uploaded via webdav. In my case, I'm using this to trigger CSS compression and combining scripts when a user uploads a file. And also to exclude rubbish files like DS_Store.

Although I have a current implementation using ftp, I'm having trouble seeing how to make this work with webdav. Ideally I'd like to use mod_dav since it is a mature and robust implementation. I can handle external authentication using mod_authnz_external but that is triggered before the file is uploaded. I need something similar as a post upload event.

Thoughts I'd had so far:

1. External webdav implementation implemented as fcgi where I can customise the implementation directly. But then I lose the nice robust mod_dav module.

2. Something that tails the webdav log for certain regex indicating a file was uploaded. Doable, but seems a bit fragile.

3. Some mechanism which allows a single request to trigger the mod_dav module and then automatically fire a request to fcgi where I handle my post processing needs.

Am I missing a simple way to do this within mod_dav or other httpd module?

Ari