How do you implement mod_fcgid?

I'm in the process of installing Apache 2.4.3 with fast-cgi on a new
server.  In the past we used mod_php but reading this user group that seems
to be a bit deprecated so I want to use mod_fcgid in this implementation.

I obtained the download from:

   http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi#mod_fcgid

and made it with apxs, and installed it as defined in the documentation into
../apache-2.4.3/modules.  No errors were reported at any stage of this.

Then I added the following to httpd.conf:

   LoadModule fcgid_module modules/mod_fcgid.so

Then I restarted Apache and get the following:

[root@prod03 conf]# ../bin/apachectl -k start
httpd: Syntax error on line 99 of /usr/apache-2.4.3/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot
load modules/mod_fcgid.so into server:
/usr/apache-2.4.3/modules/mod_fcgid.so: undefined symbol:
ap_unixd_setup_child

So I have an unresolved external reference that didn't get flagged by gcc
but where is it and what do I need to do to fix it?

Everything runs properly if I comment out the "LoadModule" line shown above
and I haven't done anything yet to actually define any CGI programmes
because it appears to me that mod_fcgid should start OK even with nothing
to do.  (ie no AddHandler or SetHandler in the httpd.conf yet).

One documentation change that might be useful would be to say right at the
beginning that you should download mod_fcgid and then include it when
making Apache.  That way it would always be there and properly linked in if
required.

Regards,

John