proxy_html: slowness problems when using ProxyHTMLEnable

Hi.

This is about using the external mod_proxy_html (3.1) with Apache 2.2...
but I guess it’s largely identical to the one included in Apache 2.4.

The setup I have is working, but it’s quite slow (and the machine is
extremely powerful, 16 cores, 92 G RAM, fastest disks... 10GbE
networking).

There is a local only webserver (a jetty service), to which I reverse
proxy via Apache, the later exporting the former under new URI space,
and behind SSL cert based authentication.

The origin (the jetty) has no SSL and apparently no compression, cause
when I send a request with:
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate

... I still get just:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Server: Jetty(7.2.2.v20101205)

Attached you'll find a snippet of the configuration I'm using.
The ProxyHTMLCharsetOut * is _not_ the reason for the slowness.

Apparently it’s the "ProxyHTMLEnable on". When I remove this and
manually set:
SetOutputFilter proxy-html
... without and INFLATE or DEFLATE... things become normally fast
(nearly as if I directly access the origin).

Using:
RequestHeader unset Accept-Encoding
...doesn't change anything, neither when ProxyHTMLEnable is on nor when
it is off.

So I guess ProxyHTMLEnable adds INFLATE/DEFLATE by it's own even though
unused and this causes slowness...

Any ideas? Is this a bug?

Thanks,
Chris.

	ProxyPassMatch "^/monitor(?!/info(?:/|$))/(.*)$" "http://localhost:59998/$1"; retry=0 ttl=300

        <ProxyMatch "^http://localhost:59998(?!/info(?:/|$))/">
                Satisfy all

                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all

                Require group admin

                AuthType basic
                AuthName "dCache Monitor"

                AuthBasicProvider file
                AuthUserFile access-control/users.basic-authentication
                AuthGroupFile access-control/groups

                SSLOptions +fakeBasicAuth
        </ProxyMatch>
	<Location /monitor/>
		ProxyHTMLEnable On
		ProxyHTMLURLMap http://localhost:59998/ /monitor/
		ProxyHTMLURLMap / /monitor/
		ProxyHTMLCharsetOut *
		ProxyHTMLLinks a href
		ProxyHTMLLinks area href
		ProxyHTMLLinks base href
		ProxyHTMLLinks blockquote cite
		ProxyHTMLLinks del cite
		ProxyHTMLLinks form action
		ProxyHTMLLinks head profile
		ProxyHTMLLinks img longdesc src usemap
		ProxyHTMLLinks input src usemap
		ProxyHTMLLinks ins cite
		ProxyHTMLLinks link href
		ProxyHTMLLinks object classid codebase data usemap
		ProxyHTMLLinks q cite
		ProxyHTMLLinks script for src

		#HTML/XHTML deprecated elements/attributes
		#ProxyHTMLLinks applet codebase
		#ProxyHTMLLinks body background
		#ProxyHTMLLinks frame longdesc src
		#ProxyHTMLLinks iframe longdesc src