Re: Configuration of virtual hosts

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Petr Hracek <phracek2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear users,
>
> sorry for botherring you with that issue but I have some questions
> regarding apache2.2.22:
> 1) from the Java applet I see sometimes (Client 2008)-> server (SLES
> 10) error message from Java console like:
> exception: Invalid argument: setsockopt.
> It seems like apache2 closed the connection before openning. Could it
> be problem when in apache2 log I see message server is busy?
> This error is sporadicall.

Who can say, if not you? Analyzing a tcpdump of the packets sent to
and from apache would give you some clues about whether apache is
behaving correctly, but who knows whether your Java app is simply not
handling an error state correctly.

> 2) Configuration issue
> First one configuration file is stored in conf.d/myconfig.conf which
> is used for configuration 80 port
> Second one configuration file is stored in
> vhosts.d/vhost-myconfig.conf which is used for configuration as for
> 443 as for virtual host.
>
> My question is:
> are directives mentioned in conf.d/myconfig.conf also used (inherited)
> in virtual hosts sections mention in vhosts.d/vhost-muconfig.conf
> or shall I mentioned twice/three times?

No vhost inherits from another vhost - even the SSL variant of a non
SSL vhost. Some directives from the main server config context are
inherited into a vhost context, some directives are only inherited if
you explicitly specify so in the vhost, and some directives are only
valid in the main server config. The best thing to do is to read the
description of each directive you are unsure about from the docs.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/quickreference.html

Cheers

Tom