Re: mod_proxy_balancer, balancer_manager questions

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Jim Jagielski <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

because these settings are stored in shared memory, post config,
and changes made won't persist a restart or reboot since Apache
goes back the honoring the httpd.conf file settings.

If you need the updates to persist, you'll need to tell
mod_proxy to write out the shared memory data to a file, which
is then read and honored during the restart.

Ok - is that something I can do via configuration, or would this involve modifying the mod_proxy code?

What is meant by the "balancer settings can be persistent after restart" enhancement that was added in 2.3/2.4?

> Additional question:
>
> I have the timeout set to 5 seconds; if the back-end service takes longer than 5 seconds to finish, the proxy does abandon the request as expected, and I get an error in the browser.  Is there any way to have the proxy, when the back-end times out, retry the request against another one of the nodes?

If the back-end has started a reply, then there's no way to
retry against someone else. Is the timeout due to the backend
being slow or because it's down?

I figured that might be the case; in this situation, the timeout is due to the backend being slow.  In particular, when I start up this tomcat server, it starts accepting connections quite quickly, but it may be 30-40 seconds before the app is fully loaded. It'd be great if the proxy could recognize that it's not really ready yet and put the node into the error state.

Thanks --
Colin