Re: apache http running in multithreaded mode

On Mon, 28 May 2012, Xin Tong wrote:

Hello

I am new to apache httpd. I noticed that apache httpd spawns many
processes to server user request. one of the httpd process is the
master (i.e. running with root id on linux). the other ones are it
children ( i.e. running with daemon id). is the master httpd process
kind of like a load dispatcher and the ones running with daemon like
the workers ? Is there a way to build apache such that it does not
spawn new processes. instead it spawns new threads within the root
process to handle incoming request ?

If you want to rewrite it, go ahead. It has an open license.

It spawns processes so that it can quickly service a new request coming in by
dispensing it to the waiting process. You can control the min and max numbers
of such waiting processes with the MinSpareServers and MaxSpareServers directives in the mpm_prefork_module
module description.(the former is what it starts out with, the latter what it
settles down to with a reasonably active host).

 (I learned about this recently when I found my system with 160 waiting
processes and the system swapping itself to death. No idea what went wrong,
but after upgrading it has stayed pretty consistent at 20 (which is wha tthe
MaxSpareServers is set to)

It also does use threads. I think to handle multiple requests -- eg all the
pictures on a web page-- on one main request.