Re: mod_proxy ProxyPassReverse incorrectly adjusting Location header in redirect?

On 12.04.2012, at 09:17, Igor Cicimov wrote:

>> On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Rainer Frey <rainer.frey@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > Where did you get the idea that you can mix protocols in the reverse proxy commands from?
>> >
>> > This doesn't [make sense]:
>> >   ProxyPass / https://internal.example.com/
>> >   ProxyPassReverse / http://internal.example.com/
>>
>> That is wrong.
> No it's not wrong

Your above statement is definitely not correct. You *can* and sometimes *must* mix protocols between ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse. The only thing a working ProxyPassReverse directive needs to match is the redirect URLs that a proxy backend returns. Apart from the fact that it only applies to responses from proxied backends, it has /nothing/ to do with the value in any ProxyPass directive. You don't even need a ProxyPass directive, it also applies to mod_rewrite [P] triggered proxy passing.
This is a very common misunderstanding, and should not be left in the mailing list archive without explanation.

>> It does not do what the OP expected, but it is definitely possible to do that, if the backend sends non-HTTPS redirects even though it was accessed via HTTPS.
> I'm just pointing that it can't be done via mod_proxy as OP expects to, which was his question exactly.

That's right, but for completely different reasons. He can't change the redirect to non-SSL via ProxyPassReverse, because (and only because) the relevant ProxyPassReverse directive is within an SSL virtual host.

Rainer