Re: apache 2.2 can't keep up with apache 1.3

On 3/13/2012 12:25 PM, Tom Evans wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM, William Taylor <williamt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I wouldn't say it's silly, but definitely not the norm and obviously a
>> low priority
>> for everyone else.
>
> I would say that forking an entire new process to handle a single
> request and then exiting could possibly be the most silly way to serve
> http.

It was.  This was 'well' supported in httpd 1.3 and prior.  Now httpd really
only supports operating as a process/daemon, not in inetd mode which is
effectively what's described.  What is most important if you want to emulate
foolish 1.3 patterns is to compile-in all the modules you need (and no more
than you need) as well as run strictly in prefork mode.  Worker model is
entirely orthogonal to single process per request invocation.  Or put another
way, you want to know why the new set of tires isn't propelling the boat
any faster.  There are some choices you have control over but you are going
to end up spending your time tuning for such a case.

If this were a comparison between 2.0 / 2.2 / 2.4 and there were measurable
differences in performance (within the same MPM) then that would raise
some eyebrows.  But your use case is so odd I'm sure nobody really zeroed
in on solving it for you.