Proxying SSL on Apache to HTTP on Jetty

Apologies in advance for sending this to the apache mailing list, I know it's not really the right place for this question but I though it was maybe worth a try just in case there is someone on this list who has already done this and could maybe help....

The question is as follows:

I'm looking at more information on how proxy SSL on Apache to HTTP on Jetty - I've seen the following page:

http://irc.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/Configuring+mod_proxy

where it says:

You can do that by extending the Connector class of your choice, eg the SelectChannelConnector, and implement the customize(EndPoint, Request) method to force the scheme of the Request to be https like so ( don't forget to call super.customize(endpoint,request)!

but can someone explain to a complete newbie exactly how this is done, i.e. what files need to be edited etc.

This is actually for running an instance of mifos (supplied as a .war file) in Jetty via an existing apache https system, using mod proxy as the connection method (ProxyPreserveHost On has been set). The proxy is working as expected, connecting to Jetty just fine, but redirects are loosing the https part and just being sent as http.

Thanks, and sorry again for sending the question to this list.